your child meet with the doctor before anything
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends, in conjunction with the American Dental Association that children should visit the dentist regularly beginning with the eruption of the first tooth. Finding a great pediatric dental clinic near you will make all the difference.
Pediatric clinic open near me
When you start to look for a local pediatric clinic open near me in Miami FL you could be looking for nearly anything. Are you looking for one that offers an urgent care center? Walk-in clinics when the office is closed? An emergency room that is available 7 days a week? One near the children’s hospital? One that takes your insurance companies? One that has a great waiting room that shows care for children? Or are you looking for great medical attention from board certified pediatricians that can also offer a pediatric urgent care clinic, primary care, and urgent care clinics options?
Regardless of what you are focused on, you’re likely going to need some great tips on how to find a good one that will fit your family’s needs. Before we get into that, though, let’s take a quick look at what the experts of orthodontic medicine have to say on the topic of pediatric clinic open near me.
A good dentist should collaborate with pediatricians for early referral of children to increase the awareness on prevention of diseases (Bakhurji EA et al.,2021).
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) established guidelines for infant oral healthcare that are specifically directed towards young children. One of which includes delivering preventive dental strategies within six months after the eruption of the first tooth (Bakhurji EA et al.,2021).
The AAPD also recommends that oral healthcare providers are proactive in their approach for the evaluation of childhood diseases such as their risk of caries (Bakhurji EA et al.,2021).
What are dentist tips for a child’s first go-to dentist? Pediatric clinic open near me
We’ll take a look at eight tips that will help you learn more about pediatric dentistry.
- The first of our eight tips is to talk about what you should look for in a child’s first trip to the dentist. It’s actually a slight misnomer as the best thing you can do as the real tip number one is to actually go to the dentist before your child. Going to the dental office and discussing your child’s needs as well as getting a feel for whether this is a great office for you and your little one should be the very first thing you do before your child ever sets foot in there at all.
- Having a free consultation and taking a moment to observe how the staff treat other clients, how the waiting room is laid out, does it have clean toys and magazines for children to play with while they wait, etc. goes a long ways. If you go in and you don’t like it, there’s a strong likelihood that your child won’t either. So before they ever go in, you definitely should.
What is pediatric dentistry in Miami? Pediatric clinics open near me
- Pediatric dentistry is the field of dental medicine that deals with children. Whenever you see things like pediatric, that means that that individual works with children in a medical setting. That’s why you have some doctors like pediatricians or in this case pediatric dentists or pediatric orthodontists. This then leads to a major question that a lot of people have, can’t I just take my child to any dentist? The fact of the matter is no, not all dentists have the soft skills and are very personable when it comes to working with children.
- It is not the skills alone that make a fantastic pediatric dentist. To be a board certified pediatric dentist, that individual had to have gotten several additional years of dental training on the particular needs and dental issues that can affect children. But dental needs of children are not always the same as dental needs of adults and so those additional few years of training and the certification that goes with it are important in making sure that your child gets the best dental treatment available.
- Another aspect to keep in mind when you’re thinking about dental treatment in Miami is the distance. If you or your little one have to take time out of work or school to be able to go to the dental office then you’re definitely going to want one that is closer to you. Better still will be a dental office that is close enough or available on the weekends that you don’t have to take any time out of their school or your work to go at all.
Having an office that is conveniently located can be a huge time saver and can also help improve the comfort level for both you and your children. It is usually bad enough for a child having to take time away from friends or from school to get a dental appointment but it is far worse if a large portion of that time is simply going to be spent in traffic because the clinic is too far. Finding a close-by clinic is a great way to help conserve your and your child’s time.
How do you prepare your child for their first visit to the dentist? Pediatric clinic near me open
- Once you’ve decided on a facility that you like, a great first thing to do is to take your child for a visit. One of the big fears children often have is the fear of the unknown. When children are unfamiliar with or uncomfortable around a particular setting, it can be more frightening for them than for adults who already have a background in dealing with unknown variables. Starting a child’s visit to the office for something simple like a checkup is a great first introduction. This is especially true if you have a fantastic pediatric dentist on hand who can engage your child, help answer their questions, and encourage them to have proper oral health maintenance.
- Overall it’ll simply be a fantastic opportunity for you and your little one if they are already familiar with the office, the staff, and the procedures. The last thing you want is for your first visit to the dental office with your child to be because of some emergency which is likely to leave a bad first impression, which could even negatively affect the way they view going to the dentist in the future.
Why are most little kids afraid of dentists? Pediatric clinic open near me
- As alluded to earlier, remember that children fear the unknown and in addition to fearing the unknown they’re also likely to be afraid of bad information. While you yourself may have never imparted the idea that dentists are something to be concerned or frightened about, there is a high likelihood that older brothers, sisters, other family members, friends at school ,and others may have either partially or indirectly given a false impression about the pain, dangers, or gossip about bad dental experiences that can make your child even more frightened since they have no frame of reference for judging the truthfulness of these claims.
That’s why one of the best things you can do is to have your child meet with the doctor before anything. Let them play the games, meet with the doctor for a free consultation, discuss what they’re concerned about, and get answers to questions they have. Simply put, the best way to help your child be less afraid is to help them know that the dental experience is not something that is frightening or concerning, and in fact it can be a fun part of protecting their health.
Bakhurji, E. A., Al-Saif, H. M., Al-Shehri, M. A., Al-Ghamdi, K. M., & Hassan, M. M. (2021). Infant Oral Healthcare and Anticipatory Guidance Practices among Dentists in a Pediatric Care Shortage Area. International journal of dentistry, 2021, 6645279. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6645279